Have you ever wanted to learn how to photograph the beautiful & vast universe that surrounds us? If so, you came to the right place!
Hi, my name is Satish Byali. I’m an professional photographer based in Sugar Land, Texas. I really enjoy teaching astrophotography.
By holding astrophotography workshops, my goal is to include you in the excitement and inspiration I have for this art form by teaching you how to make truly remarkable milky way and star trails of your own while having the best possible experience. You will come home with images that will leave you and your friends breathless! The possibilities are limitless when you combine a wide angle lens, a tripod and a headlamp under the night sky. I have crafted and honed my point of view into the standard for astrophotography, and this translates into becoming one of the best in my field and inspiring others to reach for the stars. No other workshops in the greater area compare to the quality and excitement you will gain from this photography adventure.
These milky way and star trails photography workshops are a lot of fun, but more importantly, safe and secure. Also, out of the respect for National & State Parks, I also enforce the "leave no trace" rule to keep parks clean and trash-free.
Below is 2018 Workshop schedule (dates and locations are still being added.)
If you're looking for a customized one-on-one or small group workshop, please contact me using CONTACT form from the left menu.
What Will I Learn?
- Understand the night sky.
- Know how to locate stars and constellations.
- Plan out your shots by utilizing star charts and light pollution maps.
- A general astronomy to understand moon cycles, earth’s orbit, how to find the milky way, planets, etc.
- Camera exposure settings for optimal imagery.
- Learn how to properly setup for shooting the night sky.
- Learn how to focus your lens in total darkness. - Learn how to light your foreground with a Speedlight.
- Learn how to reduce noise in your images.
- Learn how to paint with light.
- How to photograph the milky way, capture star trails, long exposures, and light painting.
- Special tips and techniques.
- Advanced camera techniques for focus and exposure blending.
- Post-processing overview. Learn my successful workflow from importing to exporting to really make your images stand out. (Post Processing is only included in multi-day workshops but not single night workshops.)
What Will I Need?
- A DSLR or mirrorless camera with capability to shoot at least ISO 1000 with moderate to little noise also that can perform in Manual (M) Mode and user manual.
- At least 2 fully charged camera batteries and 16GBs of memory card storage.
- A WIDE angle lens that is at least 24mm with an aperture of f/2.8 or faster is recommended but not required.
- A Shutter Release or Intervalometer.
- A Sturdy Tripod.
- A Headlamp or Flashlight (recommend a Maglite or similar with high luminescence).
- A camera bag that can be easily carried.
- Warm clothes.
- Bug Repellent.
- Camping Chair.
- Food and Snacks.
During my workshops, I tend to take a relaxed approach to teaching. When the workshop is relaxed, I find the learning curve is lessened and it makes the experience much more fun! You will learn how to photograph the contrast of our dark sky and the beautiful stars above. I will also teach you how to create beautiful star-trail compositions and other compositions that will leave you and your friends breathless. By learning from one of the best in this field, no other workshops in the greater area compares to the quality and excitement you will gain from this night sky photography course. To guarantee quality instruction & shooting, you will have my full attention throughout the night. I'm not one of those instructors who focuses more on his camera than yours during workshops. You will learn everything I know in this type of photography and no information is held back.
Big Bend National Park
My workshops are generally easy-to-moderate. There will be very light hiking as we easily explore accessible areas in the park. Please wear hiking shoes and prepare for desert terrain. Some classes will involve 1-2 miles of hiking but will be noted in the workshop description.
Weather plays a very key role in nighttime photography. I like to shoot on clear nights, but light cloud cover can add a very interesting effect in your images. If the forecast calls for rain we will have to reschedule. Even if there is partial cloud cover, I promise you that you will still take home some great shots and the knowledge on how to greatly capture the night sky on any given night.
Transportation & Lodging
Transportation and lodging are not included in the price of the workshop unless noted. During summer months, my workshops are conveniently available right next to the Big Bend national park. Because everyone has different needs, I will let you take care of your own accommodation. Please let me know if you need any other recommendations.
Post Processing is not included in my workshops unless noted. If you would like to take a post processing course to truly enhance your photos, we schedule those as separate classes. We will cover how to enhance your photos through Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, and Starstax. These are programs I use and they are the best for making your images really stand out! I will teach you my successful workflow all the way from importing to exporting your images. You will learn some of the best ways to adjust your photos and reduce noise that is associated with nightscape photography. Please contact me for scheduling or look at already scheduled classes, so we can take your post-processing skills to the next level!
Each workshop differs in price. Please click on the class in my schedule to see the cost for each workshop. To register, please sign up using the paypal options at the bottom of the workshop page. Itinerary for each workshop will be sent to the paypal email address upon registration.
Terms and Conditions
Subscribe to my email list to receive news, discount codes, and updates on 2018 workshops!